Friday, January 8, 2016

INTP - Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving

INTPs thrive on systems. 
Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought. 
While participating in MAL forums, I stumbled upon this thread: 20+What is Your Personality Type?

Well, I joined in the test and got my results, thus posted it here.
Since it interest me, I thought of sharing the topic of that in this blog.


The first thing the test showed me is the percentage to which group type I am inclined to:


I don't immediately get what those inclinations meant but since I did some sort of test like this before, and the result was INTP as well, I thought, "Hey, that's consistent."

For brief introduction on all 16 defined types of personality, click here.
Brief description of INTP personality type
The description was broad so I didn't really care much about it at first. Although most of the described were true, I only reacted with the word contained.

For detailed information about INTP personality type, click:
Please note that the above links will take you to INTP of my results. I will only post snippets of what I want from it here.
INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.
I think this part of the description is precise. I am always so thinking so deeply into my interest, and finding the connections with every tiny bit that I could, but this habit does not make me someone attuned to the world. Instead, I am more isolated, thinking within my means and time, not caring that the world revolves still, and have long care not about what I am thinking of.
While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.
I wish.
INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to almost anything until their principles are violated, about which they may become outspoken and inflexible. They prefer to return, however, to a reserved albeit benign ambiance, not wishing to make spectacles of themselves.
I found this to be true as well. Despite having so many things around me that I don't particularly agree, I don't like to make a spectacle, even a short one just to have things go my way, so I compromise and sacrifice a lot. But there are certain lines I draw that I cannot ever let anyone cross. If anyone do, then they have to prepare themselves to a war that they must lose.
Mathematics is a system where many INTPs love to play, similarly languages, computer systems--potentially any complex system. .... This fascination for logical wholes and their inner workings is often expressed in a detachment from the environment, a concentration where time is forgotten and extraneous stimuli are held at bay. 
You must understand. Sometimes, I'm not necessarily good at it. But I love it all the same. And when I love anything, everything else becomes nothing. At that moment the game is the most exciting thing in my mind. Your voice can't even reach me.
Accomplishing a task or goal with this knowledge is secondary.
Very much. Something most people can't understand. I love the thrill, the chase. I don't care about the results. Once it is solved, it will give me a two to five minutes of pride and soon forgotten.

(INTP stands for Introvert, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving and represents individual's preferences in four dimensions characterising personality type, according to Jung's and Briggs Myers' theories of personality type.)

So far, I found the description to be mostly accurate. Although some of those I didn't agree with could just be things I don't admit or could not see in myself, by myself.

The learning style section on the other hand, are accurate. I found all of the listed points to be relevant to how I feel when studying.
An INTP’s learning is improved when:
  • Learning is systematic and intensive
  • They work independently with the study material
  • Material is delivered at a moderate pace (INTPs can get distracted, trying to come up with a theoretical connection between pieces of information)
  • The same material is presented from different points of view (improves retention)
  • The subject significantly expands and deepens their knowledge and understanding of the topic and is presented on a conceptual basis
  • The material is complex (increases drive)
An INTP’s learning is hindered when:
  • Material is trivial (sharply reduces interest)
  • The knowledge gained does not significantly broaden and deepen their understanding in the given field
  • They participate in group work with the study material
  • Significant amounts of information lacking logical flow are presented at a fast pace (INTPs try to find a unifying pattern and lose acuity and focus in receptiveness)
Anyway, if you like to try the test yourself, click here: 

1 comment: