Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Ego of a Passionate Reader


Twenty Faces
Reading isn’t studying. They’re just for fun.
-Twenty Faces-

          Back when I was a brat, I used to convince myself that I read because I love studying (or maybe just trying to convince myself that I'm smart, and all smart people read).
My surroundings helped that falsehood too.


          It was when my age turned two digit numbers that I realized that reading made me sharper, but I wasn't studying the book. There are lots kind of readings. Sure, there's textbook study, history dissects and medical references but I'm a fiction reader, so the words study hardly cut for my kind of reading. I read all the mentioned books and more but I meant to say that I only deceived myself into thinking that I read for all the good reason when actually, the reason is plain and simple: I enjoy reading.

Words fascinates me.

That's all it ever was and is. So when Twenty Face shared this same kind of thinking, I'm just happy to know that I'm not the only one who sees it this way.
You’re a pig if you don’t read books, but you’re a dog if you think you can take lessons from them. 
Okay, I don't agree 100% with this but sometimes I do found it to be true.

It's probably the reader ego. Something every reader can't help but feel about those who doesn't read or those who flaunt their reading reasons (or intelligence). Really, we're not the nicest people in the world even if we're silent and have a lot of good things to quote. Like I said, I'm a passionate reader, thus I am (as much I don't prefer to acknowledge it) very critical of those that doesn't share my passion.

Just to be clear, I don't think you're a pig (maybe a little like a savage) nor do I think you're a dog (okay, maybe a little bit: Wag your tail, enthusiastic doggy!).
A good book is like an old friend. 
You’ll find out new things about yourself each time you read it.
This part of what Twenty Faces quoted is something I agree with wholly. It's the effect of good book. Books are an exploratory journey. There's bound to be something you can learn every time.

With that, I finished my Goodreads 2015 Reading Challenge. Hurray me!

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kembara has completed her goal of reading 60 books in 2015!
hide

Untill later, さよなら!

2 comments:

  1. "Really, we're not the nicest people in the world even if we're silent and have a lot of good things to quote."

    You got my full vote with that words. I like to read and that makes people associate me with being studious. Not that I hate studying.

    But you understand, right? The inner turmoil when you're passionate about a book, and people doesn't see that passion but instead dismiss it as .. well.. as they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mei. You really do live up to the no.1 fan thing. But hahah~ you're probably the only fan ^^ll

      Delete