Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Standard of a Pretty Boy

We all know how to set our own standard on things right? Tee hee, so I was joking about it with my grandmother.

          My eldest sister is basically of age for marriage. So my grandmother and mother was hoping that she gets married so very soon. I don't know if she's not interested or what, but in mine and my siblings opinion, she's a study freak. She probably loves to study and work so much that even if she love someone, she would choose her career or studies first. [Sorry Siena, if it's not true] I don't think that's a big deal though. Many girls marry at 30's nowadays right? Although, at that age, you're not a girl. A woman. Yucks, it hurts to be old.. And I'm on my way to that lane *sobs*.

          The thing about grandmothers, mothers, aunts and all the middle-aged woman who have children out there is the fact that they want their children to get married. As soon as they're eligible. Puh, not all eligible woman have found the right guy, you know? Well,  that's that. So when my eldest called us earlier, my grandmother told her to go find Mr. Right. Since I was the one doing the listening, and not the one pressured, it's just so hilarious. Probably that's coz I'm also in a good mood. Haha. But then my grandma said, "Just get who you like". Haha, I laughed again. Who she like? There's definitely a catch after that.

           Sure enough. Then she starts describing the characteristic she don't want in my sister so-called future partner. From personality to genetic traits! Hahaha!! Pity those whose pressure. And they are also at the age where getting a job is the utmost necessity for an independant lives. To think that all these years we were taught to be indepentdant ladies until the word "independant" itself must be grinded in our core head... now, when they are facing the world indepentdantly, these aged woman who supposedly raised them said, "Get a husband!" What's the point of making us super indepentdant then?

          I'm not saying that their thinking is wrong though. But I don't think a woman ought to be pressured to find the right guy. If so, they might just make the wrong choice in their rush and what a disaster the marriage would be! Oh wait, why did the topic come to this?

          So, after lunch, my mother suddenly brought up Tazia's case. That sister always dreamed of having the most perfect guy, especially in looks. But she ended up dating a "not-so" good looking person. Though, if you ask me, that guy is almost to perfection that it annoys me so much. He's brainiac, and a great athelete. Plus, he's not so bad in cooking. He's good with pastry too. And he does care for her. But still, my mom said, "why did she end up with that sort of looking guy?" with a sigh.

          Usually, I would laugh it off. Like Tazia would. She always complain about DL (the guy) 's look. He brag that he's handsome so we would definitely laugh at his face and says he's not! It was hilarious. But now, I felt so bad. When my mom said it, I detect that she's not joking. She meant he was not good looking. My thoughts went "whaaaat??" I hate to admit, but Tazia did found a guy with good values. How can my mom said such things? Good looks are not everything. My grandmother did say all the standards to Siena but though she was hoping, she's also joking.

          I don't wanna show how a shocked and half-angry I was, so I simply said, "I know. That's why, who told you to marry father? He become such a standard that all guys seems so ugly". I actually meant that as sarcasm. I didn't mean to use my dad, I just hope my mom realize that she was wrong. Maybe that had a negative effect. *sigh* My mother actually took it as a joke. She laugh so hard and said, "Yeah, it's your dad's fault. Why did I marry a handsome guy anyway? *laugh* Now all my in-laws would be ugly". When she put it that way, it does become a joke. My grandma joined in too and they started laughing.

         Well, since I have quite a lot of good-looking younger male cousins, we start saying how lucky their wife would be. And all the female in our family would be unlucky to have met such high standard looks is the male of our family. Now, any male in-laws would be defeated. Since they start going on and on, I decided to go away. I don't really want to start being an old lady by talking about this sort of things.

          I guess wherever is the same. Women out there are judged by looks. Since I'm a girl, I was always, ALWAYS told to be pretty etc. I didn't realize that males are also judged. I thought most guys would be judged by wealth. Haha. And good look is like a bonus charm. Maybe I was wrong. Who knew these middle-aged women look at all sort of things. Did they actually expect perfection? Is that why the love to sigh. I hope I don't get this bad disease. The sighing was bad enough.

My friend told me this before:
With one sigh, you lose a thousand happiness. With one (sincere) smile, you gain a thousand happiness.

So maybe, the looks part, you should not expect much. You don't want to sigh just because someone doesn't meet your expectation. Afterall, the saying goes "Don't judge a book by it's cover", right? We all deserve to be happier anyway.

2 comments:

  1. that's one hell of words.. HAHAHAHA.. dun care at all, if you really want to know my opinion. As long as the partner is someone like Izark (whose personality is the best!!!!) from Kanata Kara, why should we care so much for looks? Although I'm hoping for someone tall.. HAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I never knew you would even thought of marriage... what a way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete