Thursday, July 26, 2012

A case of Giving

Good news about today is..... I finished my script and articles!!!! YEA!!!

Here's the not so though:

          My department and I was in-charge for Iftar today.. oh wait, I meant yesterday. We were all first timers in doing these sort of things. Unfortunately, there was another Iftar held a few blocks away. Since our Iftar will be ongoing throughout Ramadhan while the other one is a one day event together with some contest, our High Com thought that just for that day, less people will be coming to the mosque for Iftar.

Oh wrong they were.


         There were lots of people coming for Iftar yesterday. But there wasn't enough food. And we, the ones in-charge, the greenhorns and basically the baby of these sort of things were like "ya Allah, what do we do?

True, in these situation, we could ask those who came to be even more kind to share the small portion with many.
           I'm happy with the fact that those muslimat that came to the mosque were understanding. They were fine with small portion. Or at least they said they were.

         But sadly, when some more food were passed to us, even though it's still not enough, I must say I'm ashamed when my fellows took 1 tray for us. We were in-charge to distribute this food for others. Maybe on the other days, yes, those in-charge still get some food. However this time, there were a shortage of food and honestly, I disagree with having some to ourselves while some of those who came didn't get any at all.

       So I express this to the head of my department. And MashaAllah, she said something I just hate to hear so much. "Aa, we can't satisfy everyone here. Some of them just have to accept it".
Maybe this is just my opinion. But I stay with it. I believe in this as basic manner.
So I replied, "I'm not saying we must satisfy everyone here. I'm saying that I felt that it's wrong to satisfy ourselves first when the rest aren't. Worse, our portion is many times bigger than them!"

Of course, predictably, she kept her mouth shut and continued to eat with the rest of our department members as if they never hear what I just said. And bummer! There goes my happy moments.


What do you guys think?


No comments:

Post a Comment