Saturday, April 7, 2018

4 minutes 50 seconds

     A day was all it took to ice-break, and a week was all it took to like a person. Ours were stretch to a month, giggling like middle-schoolers when we were better than that. Or perhaps that was arrogance, and that middle schoolers were better. Better than me, at least.



     I remember the song Perfect Day by supercell, played on repeat when I was in high-school. Those were the days when I fell in love with ryo's composition.
His songs helped me get through most of the time. Perfect Day was more than most of it. It was bittersweet, it was moving forward - it was me trying to let go of my great turned bad, shedding off skin as if I was a snake, ready for the new weather.

Then for a while, I stopped listening to it.
     From when did Perfect day became a memory? Something I'd feel nostalgic about, something I was past.

     That day, when I hung out with the rest of the guys in plug.dj, for some reason I decided to play the song. I was going to tell my friends, "Hey, this was my favourite song as a teen. It helped me get through tough times. Those days felt so long ago."
That was my plan.

Just as the song started to play, I received the message. I was ecstatic! I was glad I wasn't in a voice call with my friends since it would have been embarrassing if they heard me squeal. Everyone knew how much of a girly girl I could be when I'm excited.

It’s a perfect day, I chased after the contrails, 
I believed someday they will reach my hands, 
but because the sky is so far away, 
the tiny me sadly thought (this can’t be).

Months I waited.
     It was fine, I was busy too. Waiting is nothing. After all, my life has been a series of waits. Waiting for a mother, waiting for a brother, waiting for a sister, waiting for a teacher, waiting for a friend, for everything really. I was the ultimate patient girl.
    My sister thought it was a good trait - patience is.

Guilt.

If I wait, then the people who made me wait became the bad guys. The kind of logic placed about two people in an argument. If you don't retaliate with anger, you're gonna make the other party feel like they're solely to blame. So that was what I made them feel when I waited.

A fitting song to play at the background, wasn't it? A perfect day. I shouldn't have to wait anymore. It was a little funny. As you sit there talking about guilt, I told you like the cold person I am, "I'm going to go ahead". Did you know it was a song lyric? Because that was what playing in the background.

I’ll run and overcome any dead-ends,
No matter how far.

If you felt like you were bringing me down, I wanted to show you that you weren't. I wanted to be strength.
I suppose I'm not yet strength itself.

Such a perfect day, 
When I stop and look up at the sky, 
I’ll soar through that stretch of cloud in that pale blue canvas, 
to the same sky from that day 
So now, just once more, 
I reached out my hand,

A day, a week, a month. Then it was silence for almost 5 months. At the end of the 4 minutes and 50 seconds song, you said you're sorry it had come to this.

I reached out my hand.

"Don't be."

That end. The length of a conversation equal to a perfect day song. It should have been a perfect conversation too.


All I told my friend was that this song is an irony to me. I was glad I wasn't in a voice call.

It's a perfect day. It'll get me through.


No comments:

Post a Comment