Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ano Hana


Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai


*highly recommended

Plot

A group of six childhood friends drift apart after one of them, Meiko "Menma" Honma, dies in an accident. Ten years after the incident, the leader of the group, Jinta Yadomi, has withdrawn from society and lives as a recluse. One summer day, an older looking Menma appears before him and asks to have a wish granted. However, she does not remember what it is. 




Click here to watch the story online.
I do not own the link.

My review

It's a wonderful story about friendship, in my opinion. How a person importance differ to each individual...
               For instance, when everyone decide to grant Menma's wishes, all 5 of them have different thoughts. Jinta never wanted to grant the wish because he didn't really want Menma to peacefully leave to heaven (according to the story). But he help and convince everyone because he love her and like seeing her smile. Anaru on the other hand wanted Menma to pass on because she wanted Menma to be out of Jinta's head so that Jinta would like her instead.Yukiatsu was irritated and frustrated because Jinta was the only one that could see Menma so he wanted Menma to quickly leave so that Jinta won't have that advantage anymore. Basically, he and Anaru was jealous. Because Yukiatsu and Anaru was in way had the same problem, they had an understanding. This causes Tsuruko to be jealous of Anaru. She wanted to help Menma so that Anaru would be together with Jinta, and thus creating chance between her and Yukiatsu. As for Poppo, he saw Menma died and the image won't leave his head. Especially since he watch her fell and drift without helping. So he thought that if Menma would be happy to leave for heaven, then he would be freed of the guilt (at least that's how I understand it).
               In the end they realize how selfish they had been the entire time.. and they reflect on it. And all this time, Menma only wishes for them to be happy, to be friends again. To be friends forever.

Either way, the ending was tear-jerking. I haven't felt that sad for any story for many years now...
     It felt good to cry.

3 comments:

  1. hehe~ I know you love this kind of stories^^
    see how good I am at recommending a story?? hohoho~
    I feel like a fool for being so proud.. oh well^^
    by the way, this is soo not a review.. it's just what you like about the story..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm,.. I guess you're right.. maybe I should work out how to write a proper one....
    but for now, that's ok right?

    Yeah, I super love the whole story...
    Embarrassing, but yeah, I cried really hard at the ending....

    You're a monster if you don't! Just kidding =P..
    I guess I just know how it feels like to part with someone who is very important to me.
    So I kinda' understand what those people are feeling. Adn it stirred up the emotion in me~

    And yeah, thanks again for recommending it^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I want to watch it too.....

    ReplyDelete